Thursday 20 May 2010

Howlin' Wolf

Had a practice today using charcoal and chalk. With not having the charcoal pencils, the piece is not as detailed as my pencil work. Instead, using the charcoal sticks, the image has a much more expressive feel to it where the marks are clearly visible to the eye.
The drawing is of American Blues legend Chester Burnett aka Howlin' Wolf. It is A3 size and took me approximately 40 minutes, which must be a record for me as pencil drawings usually take me a week! I enjoyed using this medium, not only because it is a lot faster, but because you can layer it up as many times as you like without having to erase anything. The chalk highlighting really brings the piece to life and for my first attempt, I don't think it's half bad. I think this would look really good as part of a series. Looking forward to using the pencils next! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment